joi, 20 decembrie 2012

Review:The Sea Of Tranquility by Katja Millay.

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

All Josh Bennett wants is to be left alone, and everyone allows it because they all know his story: each person he loved was taken from his life until at seventeen years old there was no one left. When your name is synonymous with death, people tend to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, a new girl in town who won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of a mystery she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.

  Review:
                                                           
Everyone told me that this book is good.At first I thought that maybe they are wrong because I didn’t know exactly what it was about.Yes,I read the description and a few reviews,but in the end I wanted to read it and see if my opinion will be the same.
Well,they were right.This story is amazing and beautiful.The kind of story that will break your heart and change your life because of all the sad things,but at the end of to book when you will think about every chapter,every word you will realize that it was worth it.The characters..I don’t even know how to describe how much I liked the characters.

This is Nastya Kashnikov's story.A broken girl who lost her identity.Nobody knows what happened to her a few years ago.Nobody knows how to help her.But the truth is she doesn't want help.

At some point I was confused because I didn’t know why Nastya(I gotta admit that i like her real name better than this one) didn’t talk or why she acted like that,but when I found out what happened to her I was speechless.Yeah,maybe all the things she did were wrong,but in a way those things saved her.She didn’t deserve what happened to her,but you can’t change the things that happen.Everything changed for her in that moment and she lost herself, becoming someone else-like a ghost.

With each chapter I never knew what to expect.

Everything changed when Nastya met Josh Bennett.Josh’s life is not perfect and never was because he lost every single person he loved.Somehow he was strong enough to live his life,even if it was hard.
What made me smile was how Nastya and Josh acted when they were together.Their friendship started really weird,but I liked how things got from there.
They both had a real hard past which continues to haunt them,but what they never thought was that they will save each other.There are books in which there is only one character who needs to be saved,in this case there are two.And I loved the way things happened,even if it was hard and sad.
There were moments when I was really happy-that was when Josh and Nastya started spending time together.It was epic because they both are stubborn and crazy.Two people who are trying to survive by doing what they think its right.

The characters from this books are not simple and easy to understand.Each of them have their own demons from the past who won’t let them move on without making their life hard.But somehow in the middle of all the sad things two people-two broken people-end up doing what they always needed and waited for.They saved each other.They didn’t know that .But at first the only thing they knew was that nothing will ever change for them..But in the end everything changed for them.

I know i didn't mentioned the other characters i liked,but now there is one character i can't believe i didn't write about..
Drew Leighton was the funny one or that's what he wanted to be.Almost all the time when i read about him there was always something right or wrong.I liked him because all the things he did for Josh and of course for Nastya,even if there were moments when i wanted to punch him.But he was really a good friend and that's what really matters.

Maybe all the things i wrote above are not really important,but what really matters is that if could i would give this book more than 5 stars.Because this book you have to read it and i'm sure you won't regret.I regret that i waited until now..but now i know what it is about.And i'm really glad.

Quotes:

“I know at that moment what he's given me and it isn't a chair. It's an invitation, a welcome, the knowledge that I am accepted here. He hasn't given me a place to sit. He's given me a place to belong.”

***

“I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck.”

***

“We're like mysteries to one another. Maybe if I can solve him and he can solve me, we can explain each other. Maybe that's what I need. Someone to explain me.”

***

“What did you call her?" she ask's but I don't think it's her real question.
"Sunshine," I say, and she smiles like she believes it's perfect and she may be the only person other than me who would think so.
"What is she to you?" she whispers. The real question and I know the answer even if I don't know how to say it.
Drew's muffled voice rises up from the floor before I can respond.
"Family," he says.
And he's right.

***

“I think you and I both know it’s Josh who needs saving. Have a good time tonight.”

***

"When you look at her what do you feel? ... Joy, fear, frustration, longing, friendship, anger, need, despair, love, lust."
"Yes."
"Yes, what?"
"All of it."

***

“Emilia," he says, and when he does, it warms me to my soul. "Every day you save me.”

***

“I wished my mother was here tonight, which is stupid, because it’s an impossible wish.” He shrugs and turns to me, drowning the smile that cracks me every time.
“It’s not stupid to want to see her again.”
“It wasn’t so much that I wanted to see her again,” he says, looking at me with the depth of more than seventeen years in his eyes. “I wanted her to see you.”

***

“And as much as I'm telling her to stay here, I still want her to choose to come with me. To say fuck sanity and healing and closure. To say that I am the only thing she needs to be well and whole and alive. But we both know that's not true.”

***

Niciun comentariu: